Sunday, October 9, 2011

Japanese candy

Well today i was puttering around the internet, after i had made my hat as seen below....
ANd i felt like makeing something. So i came acorss this thing called Zabon Satozuke
and the site told me how to make it. well first off this is basically candied Pomello rind/skin which can be substituted for grapefruit (which i did) so right now i am soaking the peals/Rinds in some water and will do so over night, the whole prosses involves lots of boiling, discarding of the water, boiling agin and then repeating. Then i add the sugar and cook it and eventually i coat it with more sugar... i sooo wounder what it will taste like....

Now anyone who reads this might wounder, "why make this?" well first off it sounds interesting and second off i had some odd desires that have begun to pop up in my head... one of which involves wearing a kimono to the supermarket/craft store and getting remembered for it.... But this thing is more about when i fufill another dream that has poped into my head. I want to start a kimono club here in the austin area (if there isn't one already).

You see i've been feeling a little lonly and prowling Imortal geisha only helps so much, i have a couple of friends who are showing some intrest in Kimono but not nearly as much as me... and so yea... i whent looking and was surprised to not find a Kimono club in austin... which i might add is the city that sells T-shirts reading "Keep Austin Weird!!!" I swear i already know the reaction any one on the street may have when they see you walking around in a kimono.

A.) they might stare at you for five seconds and then get on with their life.
B.) if they are a musician then they might stare at you for five seconds and use it as insperation for a song.
c.) they would ask you why your wearing a kimono, and after you tell them they would respon 'Cool'
d.) They would ask you to take a picture with you

Seriusly i doubt there would be ANY sort of bad reaction... There was a Japanese family who moved into the area when i was in Middle school, 8th grade formal dance the boyu gose out, the mom comes along armed with camera in a kimono... I thought it was cool... i don't hing any one tought anything off it acept to glance at her and then think 'hmm... you don't see that every day' and then get with the dance.

Ok well that was way off topic... well yea when i have a kimono club i think it would be cool to get together at my house, in kimono, and enjoy some tea together in kimono and eat some japanes sweets... next misssion.... makeing bean past for said sweets... labor intensive but dosn't look too hard. wish me luck will post pic of finished candied peels... oh i also used the inside of the grapefruit to make some gelato.... yum!

1 comment:

  1. Hi :)
    I am in the austin area as well, and I would really be interested in getting together some time and talking about kimono. I only have one at the moment (and its a cheapie from ichiroya that is gonna go under the knife for learning purposes) but I have been sewing a bunch of yukata, and I want to move onto harder projects. email me please :) kirachan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete